Helping The Environment
- The use of locally grown hops and barley
- The ground extraction of our spring water
- The tower brewery configuration maximising gravity, minimising pumping
Even more important…
- The return to local agriculture of all by-products, such as spent hops for mulch fertiliser or spent grains as cattle feed.
- Energy saving devices such as our heat exchanging paraflows which minimise the boiling of water from cold for mashing.
- Harvey’s Brewery Depot is run on 544 roof solar panels. The panels generate an estimated 92,000kWhs of electricity a year, with any surplus feeding back into the local grid.
Most relevant to our Carbon Footprint…
- Harvey’s returnable packaging: both casks and bottles are returned to the brewery for washing and reuse.
- Short range supply: 80% of Harvey’s Brewery beer is consumed no more than 50 miles from Lewes. We have turned away trade if it’s too far away.