ROBIN'S RECIPE: SUZIE'S CHOCOLATE COFFEE PORTER LAKE CAKE
I remember fondly the queues at primary school dinners' for the "seconds" of chocolate pudding and sauce!
Try this adult turbo beery version...
For the Cake!
- 3oz/75g self raising flour
- 1oz/75g cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 4oz/125g softened butter
- 4oz/125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs medium, lightly beaten
- 1/4tsp vanilla essence
- 2tbsp milk
- oil for greasing
For the Sauce!
- 2oz/50g muscovado sugar
- 1oz/25g caster sugar
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 225ml/8fl Harveys Porter mixed with 2tspoons good quality
- instant coffee
- Preheat oven mark 5/375F/190C, grease a 2 pint/1.2litre deep ovenproof dish.
- Sift flour,cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, set aside. Cream the butter and sugar till pale and fluffy. Gradually add eggs beating with each addition. Fold in flour mixture, add vanilla and milk until soft.
- Spoon into dish.
- For the sauce, thoroughly mix mix sugars with cocoa powder, sprinkle over the pudding mixture, pour on the coffee porter liquid.
- Bake for 40-45minutes. Sprinkle on some icing sugar.
Serve hot or cold with pouring cream/ice cream and a glass or
3 of porter!
The pudding goes into the oven looking like a "tar pit" yet comes out really rather wonderful as the cake rises leaving the thick unctuous sauce at the bottom.
Thanks to Susie from Keymer for this lovely recipe!