A Christmas recipe in January?
I always love one or two bottles of Christmas Ale in January, and this is an excellent way to use up!
The recipe comes from the lovely Jacqueline, partner of the legendary Chris – a regular customer who drinks the odd gallon of strong ale.
- 3/4 lb mixed dried fruit
- Short 1/2 pt of Christmas Ale
- 1/2 lb self raising flour
- 4oz soft dark brown sugar
- 1 medium egg (beaten)
- Pinch of mixed spice
To double quantities (for 2 loafs)
- 3/4 pt of Christmas Ale
- 1 large egg
- Soak dried fruit in Christmas Ale overnight
- Preheat oven to 160°C, 325°F, Gas 3
- Add sugar to soaked fruit and stir until melted in, add mixed spice and sieved flour until combined then add egg to loosen mixture a little
- Put in greased and floured 2lb loaf tin and cook for 1 hour – 1 1/4 hours