This month see’s Robin use none other than fan favourite Dark Mild in the suitably named Mild Squirrel Stew.
Could this be his most unique ingredients yet?
- 1-2 squirrels in chunks
- Chicken thigh meat, boned and diced
- 1 Large onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 pint chicken stock.
- Bisto gravy powder
- Plain flour
- Springs of rosemary and thyme
- Smoked Paprika (1 desert spoon)
- Sunflower oil (2 table spoons)
- 3 Potatoes chopped and peeled.
- Coat the meat in flour and fry until golden on outside – 2 minutes
- In sunflower oil, remove from heat, fry onions on low heat for 5 minutes
- Add garlic celery and carrot and herbs, fry for 2 minutes
- Add the stock, bring to theboil, reduce heat simmer 20 minutes
- Add potatoes simmer until nearly cooked
- Remove from heat drain off most of liquid,
- Add a cup of Dark Mild, add bisto and stir in a separate pan to thicken.
- When nice and unctuous, return to pan, add meat and warm through
- Taste – adding salt, pepper, paprika and honey to taste
- (I also stirred in a large spoon of sloe gin jelly for good measure!)
Serve with crusty bread, greens and a pint or two of Dark Mild.
Thanks to Valmai and hunter gatherer cook for their assistance in this recipe.