04 March 2020
British Pie Week: Venison & Porter Pie
Pubs, Pies and Pints are the perfect combination, and with it being British Pie Week, we'll take any excuse to celebrate!
Our March seasonal ale, Porter, features in this recipe from our honorary brewery baker and recipe maker Robin.
- 3oz Butter
- 3oz Lard
- 6oz Plain Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 450g (1lb) Venison, Diced
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Leeks, Chopped
- Sunflower Oil
- 1 Carrot, Chopped
- 1/2 Pint of Harvey's Porter
- 1 Pint of Chicken/Beef/Game Stock
- 1 Tbsp Mushroom Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Sloegin/Apple Jelly or 1 Tbsp Honey
- Thyme, Rosemary, Salt & Pepper
Make the Pastry:
- Rub the ingredients together till fine breadcrumbs
- Add cold water to form stiff dough.
- Clingfilm and refrigerate.
- Coat venison in seasoned flour
- Brown in frying pan and remove.
- Add onions, more oil and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and celery and fry for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including venison.
- Bring to boil, simmer for 40 minutes.
- Continue to stir.
Baking: Set Oven to 200C | 400F | Gas Mark 6
- Transfer to pie dish.
- Roll out pastry, decorate and crimp.
- Brush with milk/egg wash.
- Bake for 30 - 35minutes until golden brown.
Serve with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables (and a pint of Harvey's of course!) for the ultimate hearty meal.
Fancy something sweet for afterwards? Why not also try our Star of Eastbourne Treacle Tart or Sussex Best Brownies.