01 October 2019
Star of Eastbourne Treacle Tart
This week's #GreatBritishBeerBakeOff recipe is a Treacle Tart containing our October seasonal brew, Star of Eastbourne!
Star of Eastbourne won awards at the 2019 World Beer Awards, International Beer Challenge and British Bottler's Institute.
- 250g Plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 125g Unsalted butter, chilled and chopped
- 75g Icing sugar
- 2 Egg yolks
- 700g Golden Syrup
- 50g Honey
- 250g Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Grapefruit, zest only
- 150ml Star of Eastbourne Beer
- 3 Eggs
- Honeycomb, broken into shards (optional)
- To make the pastry, put the flour and butter in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the icing sugar followed by the yolks. If the pastry feels too dry, add 2 tbsp water.
- Shape into a ball, flatten it out into a disc, wrap it in cling film, then chill for 30 mins.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until big enough to line a 23cm fluted tart tin, about 3cm deep. Line the tin with the pastry, allowing the edges to overhang. Chill for another 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line the tart with baking parchment and baking beans. Bake blind for 20 mins. Remove the beans and parchment and bake for 10-15 mins more until the pastry is golden and crisp.
- While the pastry is cooking, mix the golden syrup, honey, breadcrumbs, grapefruit zest, beer and eggs together in a large jug or bowl.
- Lower oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Use a small serrated knife to trim the pastry edges, then fill with the treacle mixture. Bake for 55 mins-1 hr until golden. Scatter over the honeycomb shards before serving, if you like.
Remember to share your beery bakes with us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #GreatBritishBeerBakeOff. We'd love to hear your recipes!
Made by Zoe Prescott, Harvey's Marketing Executive
Adapted from the Miriam Nice, BBC Good Food IPA Treacle Tart Recipe
See last weeks beery bake here >>>