21 December 2020
Robin's Recipes: Christmas Ale Christmas Cake
Although Christmas may be a little different for many of us this year, Robin has shared with us a show-stopping traditional treat with a slight beery twist for you to enjoy during the festivities!
Harvey's Christmas Ale Cake:
- 225g Plain Flour
- 1 Tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Grated Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Cocoa Powder
- 175g Butter
- 175g Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 Level Tbsp Black Treacle
- 4 Eggs Medium
- 550g Mixed Dried Fruit
- Currents, Saltanas, Raisins
- 100g Mixed Peel Chopped
- 100g Glace Cherries
- ½ Pint Christmas Ale
- Golden Rum
- Mix flour, dry spices and cocoa.
- Soak fruit and peel in Christmas Ale and rum for up to one week, until nice and plump!
- Cream the butter, sugar and treacle.
- Beat in whole eggs, one at a time, adding a tbsp of dry ingredients each time.
- Stir in mixed fruit and peel.
- Fold in the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Place in a 20cm round/18cm square tin lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake, middle oven, gas 2/150°C for 4 to 4½ until done.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Place in an air tight tin/box feeding with rum every few days (make holes all over with skewer-pour on rum)
- Just before Christmas, spread on melted jam of your choice, marzipan if required, and icing.
Serve with a glass of our Christmas Ale.
Thank you to Robin for sharing this delicious, festive recipe.