04 December 2020
Robin's Recipes: Old Ale Sausage Rolls
In the good old days, the first Thursday in December was late night shopping in Lewes, staff worked 7am - 9pm fuelled by a mix of adrenaline, Old Ale, Christmas Ale and the amazing sausage rolls made by the lovely Shirley Buxton. Here is Robin's take on her recipe.
- 1lb Sausage Meat
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Bramley Apple, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 Tsp Mustard
- A handful of mixed chopped parsley, thyme, rosemary
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 8oz Flour
- 4oz Butter
- 1-2 Tbsp Old Ale
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Rub flour and butter together to make a fine crumb, add Old Ale to make a stiff pastry. Pop in the fridge.
- Mix all sausage meat ingredients.
- Roll pastry into two rectangles.
- Divide sausage mix in to two sausages, in pastry, form two long sausage rolls, sticking the overlap with egg mix. Cut into inch lengths, insert knife into top.
- Bake gas mark 6 in a preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes in a greased tray.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
Enjoy hot or cold with a glass or two of Harvey's Old Ale.
Please tag us in your Harvey's festive bakes on social media:
- Facebook: @HarveysBreweryLewes
- Twitter: @Harveys1790
- Instagram: @harveysbrewery